Valentine’s Day Fun Facts
Valentine’s Day is a favorite of ours around the Farm. Maybe it’s because we are filled with so much love for our family and all of the animals that live with us. Having a day to honor that love (perhaps just a little more than we do any other day of the year) is a lot of fun. Check out some of these Valentine’s day fun facts we came across!
Did You Know?
- Retail statistics tell us that 4.5% of pet owners will give gifts to their pets on Valentine’s Day! That could be as many as 5 million people! We’re in that figure, that’s for sure! After all, people come and go but your pets are forever love!
- An amazing 151 Million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged every single year for Valentine’s Day. Considering 54% of Americans participate in this holiday, it makes perfect sense to us!
- For the singles out there, don’t worry. You have the option to celebrate something called Singles Awareness Day (SAD). Yes, it sounds depressing– but you’d be surprised by the number of people you will be able to connect with and relate to on social media. Who knows, maybe you won’t be single much longer!
- The term, “wear your heart on your sleeve” originated from the middle ages. Young women and men would draw their names from a bowl to see who would be their valentine. For a week straight they would wear the name on their sleeves so everyone would know.
- In Finland, their name for Valentine’s Day (Ystävänpäivä) translates to Friend’s Day. It’s far more friend/family centric than simply your romantic interest.
- In Medieval days, the X (which these days, has become synonymous with a kiss) was used by people who couldn’t write their own names. They would instead sign an x in front of a witness, and kiss the x as a show of their love and sincerity.
Or How About…
- We all know candy is a big seller for Valentine’s Day. $1.6 billion was spent on candy alone in 2016. More than 35 million heart-shaped boxes of candy will be sold and gifted this year.
- Between 64-73% of people who will buy flowers on Valentine’s Day will be men- contributing to the ~$1.9 billion in flowers sales made every year.
- 50% of people buy roses for the occasion, which is probably why over 225 million roses are grown specifically for Valentine’s Day.
- There are 1400 different kinds of cards you can purchase from Hallmark alone. It makes you wonder how many of the 145 million bought come from them!
- Over 6 million people expect or plan a proposal on Valentine’s Day each year. My own mother and father got engaged on Valentine’s Day when they were in their 20’s! It’s definitely a safe way to ensure you never forget a gift to celebrate the memory!
- Will you be part of the 40% of people who purchase their gifts for Valentine’s Day on their smartphone?
- It’s funny to imagine but very true: 15% of women will send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day. I think that’s a great way to honor and love yourself, especially if you’re single!
- Procrastinators will appreciate this: 50% of Valentine’s day gifts are purchased the 6 days leading up to it. If you are always waiting till the last minute to secure your present you are clearly not alone!